The best time to travel to Chile depends on the area you want to visit. You can visit the country all year round, but due to the vastness of the country, the best time to travel to Chile is not the same everywhere.
- North Chile: April to January
- South Chile: October to May
- Easter Island: all year round
- The rest of Chile: all year round
Would you like to visit several areas? Then the best time to travel to Chile is:
- October, November and December
- March and April
Do you already have a period in mind in which you would like to travel to Chile? See below what you can visit during that time.
Spring: travel between September and December
The months September to December are spring in Chile. Spring is in many ways the best time to visit Chile. Advantages to visit Chile during this time:
- You can visit all regions of the country during these months*;
- There is a pleasant climate in Chile, temperatures are not extremely high and not extremely low either, and the chance of heavy rainfall is not as big;
- Nature awakens from its hibernation and slowly everything starts to blossom and grow;
- As far as tourism is concerned, it is still quiet, so in general, there is enough availability for the accommodations where you would like to stay.
*Attention: An exception is the extreme south of Chile for which September is just a little too early to visit this area. Many accommodations are still closed and there are less domestic flights to this area. From October, the southernmost part of Chile is also good to visit.
Summer: travel between December and March
From December to March it is summer in Chile, which makes this period the high season. For this period applies:
- This is an excellent period to go to Patagonia in the south of Chile. Please note, because you are in an area with a lot of ice and glaciers, this means that temperatures never get very high;
- You can also visit the other areas of the country during this period;
- Only the north of Chile is best avoided in the months of January and February. The reason for this is that the chance of heavy rainfall is high; landslides and road interruptions are common which makes it difficult to travel around here;
- It's high season all over the country. The prices are higher and accomodations are more likely to be fully booked.
Autumn: travel between March and June
The months March till June are seen as autumn. Especially the months of March and April are good months to visit Chile. After that it gets colder and we advise not to visit some destinations.
- Although it is no longer part of the high season and the days are getting shorter, it is still possible to visit the south of Chile in March and April. The advantage is that in general there is less wind so the chance of pleasant weather with sunshine is high. Moreover, it is a beautiful time of the year when the colours of nature change into a beautiful autumnal landscape;
- From May many accommodations in Patagonia close and there are less flights to this destination;
- The region around Santiago and the wine regions, in central Chile, are good to visit. In the north of Chile you can also enjoy a beautiful journey.
Winter: travel between June and September
It's winter between May and September. This means cold months for the south, but you can visit the rest of the country.
- We do not recommend visiting the south of Chile, under the Lake District, during this period;
- The rest of the country, think of Santiago, the wine region and the north, including the Atacama desert, are good to visit these months.
- Think of a nice combination trip with the northwest of Argentina
Chile and climate
Chile is an extremely long country, stretching from north to south over a length of more than 4,200 kilometres. You can compare this to a country that stretches between Oslo in Norway and Marrakech in Morocco. On the east, Chile is flanked by the highest peaks of the Andes, with the highest point being at 6,200 meters above sea level. In the north of Chile, you can find the world's driest desert and in the south, you will find some of the wettest areas on earth. This extreme geography means that Chile has many climates and that the best time to travel depends on the areas you want to visit in Chile.
The north is characterized by extreme drought where the temperature can sometimes rise above 40 degrees, but because of the altitude it can cool off strongly in the evening and night with temperatures below freezing. The area around Santiago and the wine regions have a sunny and warm climate with virtually no extreme temperatures. The south is characterized by cold winters and in the summer, you can experience all four seasons in one day.
The best time to travel to Chile when travelling with children
Springbreak and the summer holidays are an excellent travel period for a visit to the north and central Chile. If desired, you can combine this with Easter Island. The Christmas holiday is the best travel period when you also want to visit the Lake District and Patagonia, possibly in combination with Antarctica (remember that for some polar voyages there is a minimum age). If you want to travel during the Christmas period, keep in mind that this is the busiest period of the year. In this case, we advise you to book such a trip at least 9 months before departure!
Would you like to make a trip through Chile yourself, and are you curious about the possibilities? Then take a look at the travel itineraries we have put together for inspiration. You can book these trips directly, but we are also happy to create a personal program based on your wishes and ideas.
Do you have a question? Feel free to contact us. Call +31 73 610 62 04 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to help you.